<$BlogRSDURL$>

Dave's Mostly Mets Blog

5/28/2004

Today's Thoughts 

I've been away from my computer the last couple of days and will be away again the next few days. I didn't want to be away from the blog for a week so I figured I'd post something today.

The Mets split a 2 game series with the Phillies this week winning the first game behind some great pitching from Steve Trachsel and then losing the second after Mike Piazza threw away a double play ball that led to six runs in the top of the 7th inning.

Piazza has taken some heat for the error but I don't think it's warranted. When you take into account the on-the-job training he's getting at first base and the countless times he's been the hero for floundering Mets teams I think we can cut him some slack. The team is still .500 in late May and still in the thick of the NL East race (for now) so throwing away one game in the name of learning a position (while not what you'd like to see) is not the end of the world. As long as he's ready for a playoff push in august .

Meanwhile, Mike Cameron's batting average is down around the Mendoza line. Still think the injury isn't affecting his hitting? I don't care how well he's fielding, in this day and age you cannot afford a .200 hitter in your starting lineup. Something must be done and economics must not play a role in it. You don't keep a .200 bat in the lineup because you're paying too much. You either sit him down and use him as a defensive replacement until he's better or you put him on the DL, give him the surgery he needs and see what happens. Either way this team is in dire need of another outfielder who can play center. They also need a power hitter (probably a right fielder) and another starting pitcher with a live arm. But that's fodder for another post when I can organize my thoughts a bit more.
What I'm Reading
MLB Scoreboard


















Google
WWW
golddave.com